Spring Time Fence Maintenance
When the sun comes out thoughts turn to the yard. Top of your spring maintenance list should be to evaluate and take inventory of what it will take to bring your fence back to it’s original condition. Begin by making a list that will assist you in creating a game plan that to complete renovating that winter worn fence.
- Remove overhanging tree limbs that may have broken under the weight of snow and ice before they fall and cause damage to the fence.
- Monitor any trees within falling distance of the fence and trim back any branches that may pose a threat.
- Groom and trim shrubs or plants next to the fence. Allow space between the fence and shrubs/plants to avoid the increased possibility of damage to the fence.
- Keep the rails free of debris including leaves, acorns, shells, twigs, and remove any foreign matter particles that may be wedged between pickets. Wet organic matter remaining long term wedged between rails and pickets can accelerate rot to the fence and compromise stability.
- Physically inspect each post by using your weight to apply pressure to determine signs of weakness. The post should not move. Movement implies rot or break at ground or below ground level. Allowing post weakness to continue for extended time will add stress to the fence and will lead to additional damage. Therefore, your repair cost will increase.
- Check for knotholes. Shift in temperature cause the wood to expand and contract, this shift can cause knots in wood to fall out leaving knot holes in your fence. Knot holes are the perfect homes for insects and particles that may become lodged permanently increasing the possibility of rot to your fence.
There are several components that make your outdoor living space a whole. A basic list may include plants, lawn, deck, arbor, pergola, outdoor furniture, outdoor accessories and your fence. Your fence is the component that keeps your outdoor living space private for your enjoyment. The fence may be the single structure in your back yard which you made the biggest monetary investment. Improve it’s lifespan.