Radon Dangers and Safety Tips - On the House

Radon Dangers and Safety Tips

By on October 29, 2014
radon safety tips

This past week was designed to bring about awareness about the dangers and public health issues associated with radon.  Radon is a naturally occurring, invisible, odorless gas that causes lung cancer when exposed to at elevated levels.

Radon is estimated to affect as many as one in fifteen homes in the United States, so it is a particularly widespread problem. There are many people who may have elevated radon levels in their home, but may not even realize it. It can be important to get your home tested for different radon issues, which will help you decide to take action.

You might notice that your home smells strange, which could be an indication that you have radon gas present. Other people will note that they are simply getting sick more often. This could be a big warning sign that radon levels are increasing in your home. This could be happening, because radon is a gas that can easily seep upwards from the top soil that is underneath the foundation of your home.

Testing for radon in your home is easy and inexpensive, and if discovered, can be fixed.  Testing is as easy as opening a package, placing the detector in a designated area, and sealing the detector back in the package and mailing it to the lab.

Having carbon monoxide and radon detectors are important for everyone’s safety. You can purchase these detectors at most hardware and big box, do-it-yourself stores.

Radon Hotline 1-800-SOSRADON (767-7236)

About onthehouse

Keep up with The Carey Brothers

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news, tips and updates from our team as we put on our radio show - On The House, go to trade and consumer shows and share our journey in home improvement, building and home products.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest