Today is world "poinsettia day" in honor of Dr. Joel Robert Poinsett who introduced this rare tropical Central American plant to the United States on this day in the early 1800s. However while it is both seasonal and beautiful, and has become our favorite Christmas flower, serious danger lurks within it. When a leaf, stem or flower is damaged, a milky-white substance soon appears. Few know it is very poisonous -- as are many other holiday favorites, such as holly, mistletoe and the Christmas rose. Thus, as pretty as they are, they need special care. They always should be kept away from small children and pets. After handling these plants, wash your hands thoroughly to prevent ingesting any toxic poisons or contaminating food, clothes or other surfaces. For safety's sake, handle holiday plants with care and always wash up after any contact. Most of all, keep them up and away from pets and little ones. And that's the On The House tip for today.